Last night I went to my last and final class of my college career. I spent my last precious hours playing a Persian instrument. It's called a santur. This is what a santur looks like:

This is how you play a santur:

This is how I spent my whole semester, Wednesday nights, shooting my brains out. I just have to admit, I did not like my teacher much. It was an easy A class, but was it worth it? I don't know. I was constantly being bombarded by anti-everything propoganda. I was the only one in the class who knew how to read and follow music, making it hard to learn new music when the teacher expects everyone to read and just pick it up when no one does. Then the teacher would say, "Just listen to me play it and copy what I am playing." He wouldn't follow the beat, or the notes, that were listed on the music page. He had it all in his head, apparently wrong. But no once could just pick it up by listening either. It was a class of 8 people, and to this day our teacher still doesn't know any of our names. I was asked every class why I was still in school since I already had my "M.R.S." degree. What else is there right?
But now all I have left is a couple tests, that I'm not worried about. And then on to...what? Your guess is as good as mine. There seems to be a trend around here of graduating college with nowhere to go. For now I can stay on where I am at, for another 910 hours. Hopefully that will give me enough time to get something else that wants me for more than 5 months. We shall see. It's kind of scary, ya know? I've never, not done school before. I've gone to school my whole life, ever since I can remember. And now I'm just done? Now I guess I have to buckle down and make adult decisions from now on.

This is how you play a santur:

This is how I spent my whole semester, Wednesday nights, shooting my brains out. I just have to admit, I did not like my teacher much. It was an easy A class, but was it worth it? I don't know. I was constantly being bombarded by anti-everything propoganda. I was the only one in the class who knew how to read and follow music, making it hard to learn new music when the teacher expects everyone to read and just pick it up when no one does. Then the teacher would say, "Just listen to me play it and copy what I am playing." He wouldn't follow the beat, or the notes, that were listed on the music page. He had it all in his head, apparently wrong. But no once could just pick it up by listening either. It was a class of 8 people, and to this day our teacher still doesn't know any of our names. I was asked every class why I was still in school since I already had my "M.R.S." degree. What else is there right?
But now all I have left is a couple tests, that I'm not worried about. And then on to...what? Your guess is as good as mine. There seems to be a trend around here of graduating college with nowhere to go. For now I can stay on where I am at, for another 910 hours. Hopefully that will give me enough time to get something else that wants me for more than 5 months. We shall see. It's kind of scary, ya know? I've never, not done school before. I've gone to school my whole life, ever since I can remember. And now I'm just done? Now I guess I have to buckle down and make adult decisions from now on.
Comments