Skip to main content

Relearning and New Learning

Seeing as how I spend my whole work days at a junior high school in junior high classes now, (Oak Canyon Junior High, for those who are curious) I spend a lot of time "relearning" things that I learned back in my middle school days. For instance, I relearned how to add 9+ (-13), tricky I know, and I relearned how to write a 5 paragraph essay. Some may call this "digressing" instead of relearning, but to each his own.

I also get the lucky treat to experience new learning with some things. For instance, I sit through a Utah State History class every other day. Since I grew up in Washington, I took Washington State History and not Utah State History. So here is an opening for possible new learning to happen. Granted, I have more of a head start with Utah than I would with any other state due to the fact that lots of Utah History coincides with Church History, but nonetheless, I feel confident I can learn SOMETHING.

That's because I already have! While browsing through the textbook one day, I read a little blurb about the early Saints and pioneers in Utah. There were two examples of hymns that they would sing at this time. One was "Press Forward Saints" with which I am very familiar. And the other was something I had definitely never heard, or read, before. Here are the lyrics:

Now in the spring we'll leave Nauvoo,
And our journey we'll pursue.
Bid the mobbers all farewell,
And let them go to heav'n or hell.

(Here comes the best part)

Old Governor Ford with mind so small,
He has no room for a soul at all.
If heaven or hell should do its best,
He neither could be damned or blessed.

Umm...........

I just have one comment. I'm really glad we don't sing hate songs anymore. Good thing this was taken out of the current hymnal.

Comments

Mika McDaniel said…
Wow... that's funny!

Yay, for re-learning and new learning!
rekcedeel said…
I'd like to hear the music to those lyrics. We should put it to an upbeat ska ditty.
Melissa Hatch said…
That is fantastic! That reminds me of The Star Spangled Banner. Originally a poem written by Francis Scott Keys it was put to music but we NEVER sing the last two versus(listed below) because they paint the British in a negative light. Isn't that funny?

And where is the band who so vauntingly swore,
'Mid the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country they'd leave us no more?
Their blood hath washed out their foul footsteps' pollution;
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation;
Blessed with victory and peace, may the Heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto, "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Popular posts from this blog

Curb Appeal Galore

 This post is to document the journey our outside of our house has been on over the last few years. A lot of these projects I took on this summer, and a few I did earlier. I am so happy with where we are currently at, but still have some plans before it's finished. So, here is what it looked like the day we bought the house. Seven years ago. Don't let the "grass" fool you. It's just weeds. And the ugly brown window trims paired with the ridiculously old glass in the windows and the green brick with maroon grout. Not too pretty. We have since painted the door, trim, and replaced the windows. Also replaced the porch light and house numbers.  This spring we also had a new concrete half circle driveway installed. We live on a busy street and our front yard is useless and our driveway is tiny. So now we have much more functionality, less weeds, and overall happiness. After the driveway was installed, I also ripped out the rest of the grass and installed some decorative...

Things I've learned about babies

These are things I never realized or knew about babies that I have learned since having one of my own! -Babies are grimy. I still don't understand how they can get so dirty. How did you get all this dirt under your fingernails!? You can't even DO anything with your fingers! -You know that soft spot on their head? You can totally see their heartbeat in it sometimes. It's kind of disconcerting. -Once you finally figure out some type of routine or normalcy......it changes. -Apparently babies can still "bite" their tongues, even though they don't have teeth. I guess technically they're gumming their tongue? Which doesn't sound too painful, but when a red pinched blood vessel looking thing shows up on the tip of your baby's tongue, you realize that it might be a bit painful. -Babies have to be pretty tough, they experience a lot of pain! From being born (it just can't feel great being squeezed through a birth canal), to teething...for mont...

Good and Bad Discoveries of the Week

This week we have discovered the secret to life in Provo!! I am serious, it's the best thing ever, and everyone who lives in or near Provo, must take advantage of this secret to life. 1. Go to the Winsong movie theater 2. Purchase a ticket for "Take" (preferably Matinee) 3. Preferably, do not watch this movie because it is a waste of time. But if you have nothing better to do with yourself, go ahead and watch it. 4. Take your movie stub to the dollar theater located by Costco in Orem 5. Finally, enjoy UNLIMITED free movies at this theater. That's right, I said UNLIMITED FREE MOVIES at the dollar theater. I know this sounds to good to be true, but it is oh so true. I have done it, and it works. Last night, we watched a free Indiana Jones from this movie ticket. It was amazing. The movie Take is pretty worthless, but the reward is priceless. Ok, so on to the bad discoveries of the week. I have recently become aware of the advantages and disadvantages that tag along with...