Skip to main content

FedEx, Deadlines, and Work

It’s been a long time since I’ve written on here because I couldn’t think of anything to talk about. So I have to make up for lost time by writing a really long post. Not really, it’s just that I dealt with the same lady at work today for 4 hours, so naturally the story is going to be long.

So the student has her grad school deadline coming up, in two days. This Friday. She signed up for a Geology 101 course on Feb 24th, last week. Looking in her course, she had previously taken this course last year, but let it expire before finishing it and now has to finish it, in a week, for her grad school deadline. She called in today to have us mail out the final exam express so it would get there tomorrow, so she could take it, and get it back to us on Friday. The problem is, she has about 20 lessons left that she hasn't submitted yet, and she took both midterms yesterday, so they're not back in our office yet. Which, all of that stuff is supposed to be done and in before we ever mail out the final. She's desperate, and won't take no for an answer. She is also at school right now, teaching her class. So, she said she had all of her answers already done and written down for all her lessons, she just couldn't submit them until she got home because the internet is not working at the school. Well by the time she gets home, our express tests will also already be shipped, which is too late. So I told her she can read me her answers over the phone, and then I can input them into the computer. But there are SO MANY lessons! Forever later, I had only gotten through lesson 10, when she put me on hold and then hung up. Apparently she just found out she was being audited, so she had to get into her classroom. She had been ignoring her class to give me the answers. So she called me back while her auditor went to the bathroom, to tell me she'd call me back after her class.

While waiting, I tracked her midterms, to make sure they were actually on their way back to us. Neither of them have information in Fedex, which means they're likely coming back regular mail since the proctor didn't put it in a Fedex box. So I tried calling the proctor, but they're out for the day for some weird test that they’re administering, and if her tests did go regular mail, they definitely won't be here by Friday. So I may need to send out both midterms again for her to retake so they actually get back to us in time. And now I've graded all the lessons she's given me so far, and she's failed most of them. Which is bad. The saga continues.

She calls me back again, while she's driving to the post office trying to make sure her midterms get into the right mail today so they get to us tomorrow. When she gets to the post office, she hangs up. Then calls me back after leaving, on her way to the next post office who supposedly will be giving the midterms to FedEx. While talking, I hear her say “Oh, don’t you hit me!” Talking to another car…Um, maybe talking to me while driving isn’t the best idea. What am I supposed to do if you get hit while you’re on the phone, call 911 and say “I was just talking to a lady somewhere who got hit…go find her.” Yeah, no.

Oh man, this lady is crazy. I've been laughing all day long while telling her story to people cuz she's just shooting herself in the foot. I just found out that she has ANOTHER class that she didn't tell me about that she also needs done by Friday, in which nothing has been submitted for. I told her I had to leave at 3 for lunch, so she needs to get herself to a library and submit the rest of those answers herself since she will be able to do that a lot faster than reading it to me to write down, and then enter them all online, for 25 MORE LESSONS! THAT'S A FREAKING LOT OF LESSONS! Most classes we have only have between 6-10 lessons total. So now I'm waiting for her to call me back again, and she better say that she's done so I can print the finals and get them out. I'm flat running out of time. Our normal express cutoff for normal people is 12. It is now 2:30. The FedEx man comes between 3:30 and 4 to pick them up.

She called me at 3:05, said she was at a library submitting the rest of the answers right then and there. I told her to call back as soon as she completed them and talk with my coworker who would print the test for her. I left. She got them all in for both classes, and my coworker printed and packaged the tests while the FedEx man was standing right there scanning them, waiting for his last package. Talk about skin of her teeth. A couple minutes later, and she would have been toast. To top it off, she failed most of her lessons, so she better ace the tests. I doubt it though.

Comments

KaWheelers said…
Seriously... why do we help people like this?! It's not our problem. Haha, well I'm glad you were able to save the day for her. I hope you get a fruit basket from her.... :)
rachel b. said…
Wow . . . talk about procrastination. At least you were helpful! I probably would have given up on here really quickly.

Popular posts from this blog

Curb Appeal Galore

 This post is to document the journey our outside of our house has been on over the last few years. A lot of these projects I took on this summer, and a few I did earlier. I am so happy with where we are currently at, but still have some plans before it's finished. So, here is what it looked like the day we bought the house. Seven years ago. Don't let the "grass" fool you. It's just weeds. And the ugly brown window trims paired with the ridiculously old glass in the windows and the green brick with maroon grout. Not too pretty. We have since painted the door, trim, and replaced the windows. Also replaced the porch light and house numbers.  This spring we also had a new concrete half circle driveway installed. We live on a busy street and our front yard is useless and our driveway is tiny. So now we have much more functionality, less weeds, and overall happiness. After the driveway was installed, I also ripped out the rest of the grass and installed some decorative...

Things I've learned about babies

These are things I never realized or knew about babies that I have learned since having one of my own! -Babies are grimy. I still don't understand how they can get so dirty. How did you get all this dirt under your fingernails!? You can't even DO anything with your fingers! -You know that soft spot on their head? You can totally see their heartbeat in it sometimes. It's kind of disconcerting. -Once you finally figure out some type of routine or normalcy......it changes. -Apparently babies can still "bite" their tongues, even though they don't have teeth. I guess technically they're gumming their tongue? Which doesn't sound too painful, but when a red pinched blood vessel looking thing shows up on the tip of your baby's tongue, you realize that it might be a bit painful. -Babies have to be pretty tough, they experience a lot of pain! From being born (it just can't feel great being squeezed through a birth canal), to teething...for mont...

Good and Bad Discoveries of the Week

This week we have discovered the secret to life in Provo!! I am serious, it's the best thing ever, and everyone who lives in or near Provo, must take advantage of this secret to life. 1. Go to the Winsong movie theater 2. Purchase a ticket for "Take" (preferably Matinee) 3. Preferably, do not watch this movie because it is a waste of time. But if you have nothing better to do with yourself, go ahead and watch it. 4. Take your movie stub to the dollar theater located by Costco in Orem 5. Finally, enjoy UNLIMITED free movies at this theater. That's right, I said UNLIMITED FREE MOVIES at the dollar theater. I know this sounds to good to be true, but it is oh so true. I have done it, and it works. Last night, we watched a free Indiana Jones from this movie ticket. It was amazing. The movie Take is pretty worthless, but the reward is priceless. Ok, so on to the bad discoveries of the week. I have recently become aware of the advantages and disadvantages that tag along with...