We had a pretty packed and fun weekend. It started Friday night when us and friends went to the Manti Pageant. Unfortunately I don't have pictures yet, because I forgot my camera and they're all on her camera. While we were sitting there waiting for a few hours for it to start, I decided I needed to go to the bathroom. So as I was walking down the street heading for them, this really happy cheery lady said "HEY! Would you like a MILLION DOLLAR Joseph Smith Bill?!?!" I thought it was kind of funny so I said "Sure!". I noticed there was a bunch of information on the back of the bill, but decided not to read it until I was back at my seat. So on my way back from the bathrooms I passed her again and saw her offer some to two little girls, both of whom turned her down. I was thinking "Hm, I wonder why they don't want one, it's fun!" Then I got to my seat and showed everyone, and their FIRST response was "Is it Anti?" I was like, "Of course not, why would it be Anti?"
Then I read it. It was most definitely anti-Mormon. Then I felt like a dork. Because that thought never even crossed my mind, and I realized those two girls had been smarter than me. Oops!
I will give the pageant itself an overall rating of good or decent. The message was good and I liked the way they clearly demonstrated the relationship between the ancient peoples of America (ie, Nephites/Lamanites) who got wiped out because of wickedness, and us today on the same land. But, I have to say at times the narration was quite cheesy. They also took a bit of artistic license that seemed unnecessary. There were a few times that we would mention "Hm, I don't remember THAT happening in the story." Oh well. I'm glad we went.
So we got back home from that at about 1am and went to bed. In the morning we woke up to go play volleyball for a few hours. Then came home, I finished a cake (which I must say was a great cake) and we traveled up to see Jarom's sister and family. We had the cake, went to dinner, and went to a rodeo in Riverton. (yes, I put that right. We ate the cake BEFORE dinner). The rodeo was pretty entertaining. It was a fairly small one compared to others I've been to. But they had a couple really funny event. One was with the kids in the audience. First, they tape a bunch of money to a few calves.
This one has been picked pretty clean already.

Then they set the kids free to chase the calves and keep any money they can grab.
Most of the time it was crazy madness and just looked like this.

My second favorite even was called the Wild Hide Ride. I had never seen anything like it, and it was actually an event, not just a fun game like the kids one. They had one rider and horse on on end of the arena, with another person on the other end of the arena. The horse had a rope tied behind it with a big piece of hide, or leather, that it pulled. The horse would ride down to the other person as fast as possible, turn around, and the person was supposed to jump onto the hide and hold on for dear life as the horse ran all the way back to the other side. It looked pretty fun actually, besides all the dirt and poop you'd get down your clothes, mouth, nose, everything... I had a really hard time getting a picture of this event unfortunately because it was dark, and far away, and fast, I couldn't get a clear one. But this will at least give you the idea of what it looked like.
Do you see the horse, with the rope, and that big smudge at the end of the rope? That's the person on the hide riding it.
And here's a picture of Jarom.
And nephew McKay.
And here's just a good bucking horse picture.

So that concluded Saturday. Sunday was Jarom's birthday! We celebrated by going to church. ha. I also made him a weird dessert that is a variation of something called Apple Kuchen, except for instead of using apples I used rhubarb and strawberries. Tasty. We had our once-a-year meal, the one he always asks for on his birthday but we never have any other day, Beef Stew. Who would have thought someone could like Beef Stew so much to ask for it on his birthday!? And I think Jarom made out pretty well this year. He got the only type of "pet" he would ever want (a plastic fish in a fish bowl. It has magnets in it that make it move around like a real fish! No feeding or cleaning required), the only plant he would ever want (a little ornamental bamboo thing), a board game where you get to use slaves to plant crops and build buildings, called Puerto Rico, a sweet neon yellow shirt, a blender (to make his favorite slushies with), Chinese candies and snacks, cookies, a Costco Membership card, and of course the rodeo and Manti all in one weekend!
Ok. This is long enough. I am done.
Then I read it. It was most definitely anti-Mormon. Then I felt like a dork. Because that thought never even crossed my mind, and I realized those two girls had been smarter than me. Oops!
I will give the pageant itself an overall rating of good or decent. The message was good and I liked the way they clearly demonstrated the relationship between the ancient peoples of America (ie, Nephites/Lamanites) who got wiped out because of wickedness, and us today on the same land. But, I have to say at times the narration was quite cheesy. They also took a bit of artistic license that seemed unnecessary. There were a few times that we would mention "Hm, I don't remember THAT happening in the story." Oh well. I'm glad we went.
So we got back home from that at about 1am and went to bed. In the morning we woke up to go play volleyball for a few hours. Then came home, I finished a cake (which I must say was a great cake) and we traveled up to see Jarom's sister and family. We had the cake, went to dinner, and went to a rodeo in Riverton. (yes, I put that right. We ate the cake BEFORE dinner). The rodeo was pretty entertaining. It was a fairly small one compared to others I've been to. But they had a couple really funny event. One was with the kids in the audience. First, they tape a bunch of money to a few calves.
This one has been picked pretty clean already.
Then they set the kids free to chase the calves and keep any money they can grab.
My second favorite even was called the Wild Hide Ride. I had never seen anything like it, and it was actually an event, not just a fun game like the kids one. They had one rider and horse on on end of the arena, with another person on the other end of the arena. The horse had a rope tied behind it with a big piece of hide, or leather, that it pulled. The horse would ride down to the other person as fast as possible, turn around, and the person was supposed to jump onto the hide and hold on for dear life as the horse ran all the way back to the other side. It looked pretty fun actually, besides all the dirt and poop you'd get down your clothes, mouth, nose, everything... I had a really hard time getting a picture of this event unfortunately because it was dark, and far away, and fast, I couldn't get a clear one. But this will at least give you the idea of what it looked like.
And here's a picture of Jarom.
So that concluded Saturday. Sunday was Jarom's birthday! We celebrated by going to church. ha. I also made him a weird dessert that is a variation of something called Apple Kuchen, except for instead of using apples I used rhubarb and strawberries. Tasty. We had our once-a-year meal, the one he always asks for on his birthday but we never have any other day, Beef Stew. Who would have thought someone could like Beef Stew so much to ask for it on his birthday!? And I think Jarom made out pretty well this year. He got the only type of "pet" he would ever want (a plastic fish in a fish bowl. It has magnets in it that make it move around like a real fish! No feeding or cleaning required), the only plant he would ever want (a little ornamental bamboo thing), a board game where you get to use slaves to plant crops and build buildings, called Puerto Rico, a sweet neon yellow shirt, a blender (to make his favorite slushies with), Chinese candies and snacks, cookies, a Costco Membership card, and of course the rodeo and Manti all in one weekend!
Ok. This is long enough. I am done.
Comments