Yesterday I had some extra riccotta cheese that I didn't know what to do with. So I made cannoli! I've never even eaten cannoli before so I didn't know how it was supposed to taste. I did have to redo a couple of things. I haved the recipe on everything except the water in the dough. That was the last ingredient and I forgot. So it turned into a big goopy mess. So I had to redo the dough. Also, for the filling, I forgot that "Confectioners" sugar was Powdered sugar, not granulated. Why can't they just say powdered!?! After I added all the sugar I re-read that part of the recipe and noticed they said "sifted" sugar. I thought, "Why would you ever sift granulated sugar..." And then it hit me. Because it was supposed to be powdered sugar. So I dumped as much of it out as I could, but it was impossible to get everything. So there was a little extra graininess/crunch in the filling than there was supposed to be. It was a fun adventure.
For the shells you need cannoli tubes to wrap the dough around, which I don't have. So I made my own out of aluminum foil. It worked just fine, I just had to dip them in oil between each use so it was easier to take the cooked shell off. Also, all the recipes I saw called for wine in the dough, which is supposed to help break down the gluten because it's a tough dough. Seeing as I didn't have any wine on hand, I just used water and it worked fine.
Here are all my completed shells.
And then you just fill them with the cream! There are so many varieties of this you can do, you can put just about anything inside. I added chocolate shavings and some roasted coconut. I tried using a fancy tip and bag to stuff it, but the cream wasn't stiff enough to hold its shape. Oh well. Still tasted good!
For the shells you need cannoli tubes to wrap the dough around, which I don't have. So I made my own out of aluminum foil. It worked just fine, I just had to dip them in oil between each use so it was easier to take the cooked shell off. Also, all the recipes I saw called for wine in the dough, which is supposed to help break down the gluten because it's a tough dough. Seeing as I didn't have any wine on hand, I just used water and it worked fine.
Comments