Out with the old:

In with the new:

Last week we got a new couch! Well, not new from a store, but new from ksl.com. It was a rather interesting experience during the process of getting rid of our old couch.
In with the new:
Last week we got a new couch! Well, not new from a store, but new from ksl.com. It was a rather interesting experience during the process of getting rid of our old couch.
So first of all, we got the new brown couch before we got rid of the blue couch because I wanted to make sure we would actually get it and have a place to sit before getting rid of our only couch. So then we had two couches filling up our living room (and kitchen). We needed to get rid of it fast. So I posted it for cheap and had a few people call. The first lady who saw it said she wanted it and would come back with some twine. She brought her two kids and complained most of the time that she didn't have a man around to do stuff for her and that men are worthless.
So when she showed back up, I started looking around for a truck of any kind. And saw none. I then realized her plan was to strap it to the top of her car. In my mind I'm thinking "ummmmm...ok. Don't blame me if you dent your car! Or lose the couch." For some reason this couch is incredibly heavy. It feels like there should be a hide-a-bed in it, but there's not.
So she gets on one end, her son on the other, and they lift. They get it about one inch off the ground before dropping it. She then looks surprised and proclaims how heavy it is. Yep. So she then gets the idea to just drag it across the room, and they'll just have to pick it up over the door frame. My thinking: "So...you can't even pick this up for one second, you expect to be able to DRAG it outside the door, down the stairs, and then what, throw it on top of your car? How are you going to lift it on top of the car if you can't even pick it up now!?"
Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do because I wanted her to take it, so I didn't want to tell her that her plan was impossible. Maybe I could just close the door once it was out and not let her know I was still watching her endeavor, that way I would have her money and wouldn't have to worry about getting it on her car.
Sadly, but I guess it's probably good, when she had it about half way out the door, she realized she was stuck and wouldn't be able to get it above the banister that she would have to in order to get it the rest of the way out the door. So they then reversed and put the couch right back in our living room because they couldn't get it out the door.
Also, in the process of her dragging it, and yanking it, she managed to start pulling one of the arms out of it a bit. Thanks lady.
So then I was a little more anxious about it and everyone that called me I made sure to tell them it was really heavy and they would need to bring some people with them. Finally on Saturday a guy showed up ready to take it, he brought his old dad. His dad couldn't lift it. So Jarom ended up helping. Once again I found myself searching for a truck, and couldn't find one. He then pulled his car up, commenting that he probably wouldn't be able to fit it in his back seat, and maybe it would stick out of the trunk a bit. (This couch is over 7 feet long, and 3 feet high). When I saw his car, a Dodge NEON, I'm like, "uh, no. Do not even attempt to put this anywhere inside your car. Can you not see how big this couch is and how not big your car is?" His solution? He put it on top of the car.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? Is this a COMMON thing? For people to just throw couches on top of their cars and haul them down the road?? My thought process has always been if I can't find someone with a truck or big SUV, I can't get a couch. I should have known better! I could have just thrown our new couch on top of our little Toyota and been fine! Why did I bother our friend who actually had space in his Tahoe for a couch to fit!!
Anyways, the stress is over now and the couch is gone. We are happy and uncrowded in our living room now. I just hope his little Neon, that was sagging way down to the ground with all the extra weight, could make it home safely.
Comments