Skip to main content

Proposition 8

In yesterday's Daily Universe, there was a letter to the editor regarding Proposition 8. I would like to comment on this letter. First of all, I understand that the paper tries to be unbiased on controversial issues that people write about. I know that they like to put both sides of the issue in the paper so people can see and express their honest opinions. However, I really feel that when someone writes something so obviously anti-Mormon, that they should not publish this piece. We are a private, church-run institution, and I don't feel that we should have to read crap that blatantly attacks what the church stands for. Proposition 8 is what will be voted for in November in California regarding same-sex marriages. The proposition would add a very clear definition of marriage. The definition would state that marriage only pertains to a man and a woman, not two members of the same sex. Here is a copy of what this person's letter said:

"I am appalled at the number of BYU students campaigning for the California initiative. The onslaught of flyers has left my stomach churning. I wish these students could see how voting for Proposition 8 simply hurts the Church. It hurts those men and women within the Church who struggle with same-sex attraction. It hurts our image. It turns people against the Church. Joseph Smith once said he teaches his people correct principles and allows them to govern themselves. We have been taught the correct principles regarding same-sex attraction and acting on those tendencies. Now let's try out a little agency and govern ourselves while allowing others to make their own decisions without government interference."

The first huge point that this writer has completely backwards is that voting for the proposition would hurt the church. If that were the case, the First Presidency of the Church would NOT be making such a clear, undeviating stance on this issue. They have plainly asked the members of the Church to fight for this proposition, and do everything they can to keep the definition of marriage legally defined as only between man and woman. It's not very often that the Church officially comes out and tells its members how to vote politically. So you know when they do, you had better take it seriously. Then, this author says that this proposition would hurt the members of the Church who struggle with same-sex attraction. I don't see how this could be possible. I understand that many members of the church do face this struggle, and my heart goes out to them. HOWEVER, if they are members of this church, they are not allowed to practice these tendencies. If someone in this church got married to someone else of the same sex, they would no longer be members of this church, they would be ex-communicated. So how does the Church enforcing something that it already enforces hurt anyone?

He then says that this would turn people against the Church and hurt our image. Since when do you think the leaders of this church, and God himself start caring about a popularity contest? There will be people against this church until Christ returns no matter what. The Lord does not make commandments to make everyone happy and suit their own personal wants . The Church is not a people-pleaser and does not change its principles based on fluctuating morals of society. We have a firm rock to hold onto that we know to be true regardless of how society changes and defines its morals. That is one of the great things about this church: it is true.

The last argument this author uses is that Joseph Smith taught that he only teaches correct principles and lets everyone govern themselves. While this is a true statement, it was also taken completely out of context. When Joseph Smith made this statement, he was being asked how it was that his community of saints were able to be so prosperous, happy, and thriving. Joseph Smith, not wanting to take credit for their actions, simply said that he taught them what was true, but they were the ones who decided to follow it and live righteously. I highly, highly doubt that if the saints were living like pigs, not following the commandments or listening to Joseph at all, he would have said the same thing. In fact, when they didn't live the commandments, he would rebuke them and teach them to live better than they were. He didn't stand by the wayside and throw up his hands saying "Well, I taught them and now they can just do whatever they want, it's up to them!" Going along with this is a very good quote from our Church's website regarding this issue:

"Those who favor homosexual marriage contend that “tolerance” demands that they be given the same right to marry as heterosexual couples. But this appeal for “tolerance” advocates a very different meaning and outcome than that word has meant throughout most of American history and a different meaning than is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Savior taught a much higher concept, that of love. “Love thy neighbor,” He admonished. Jesus loved the sinner even while decrying the sin, as evidenced in the case of the woman taken in adultery: treating her kindly, but exhorting her to “sin no more.” Tolerance as a gospel principle means love and forgiveness of one another, not “tolerating” transgression. In today’s secular world, the idea of tolerance has come to mean something entirely different. Instead of love, it has come to mean condone – acceptance of wrongful behavior as the price of friendship. Jesus taught that we love and care for one another without condoning transgression. But today’s politically palatable definition insists that unless one accepts the sin he does not tolerate the sinner."

If you would like to read more from this article, go to http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage.

This has just been something on my mind. While the letter might not sound like it's attacking or purposefully fighting against the church, I hope you can see how it really does undermine what the church stands for and is fighting for.

Comments

Unknown said…
agreed! That was a rediculous comment in the paper. Someone didn't eat their Wheaties that morning.
Lisa said…
tell us what you REALLY think, Gina.

Popular posts from this blog

Curb Appeal Galore

 This post is to document the journey our outside of our house has been on over the last few years. A lot of these projects I took on this summer, and a few I did earlier. I am so happy with where we are currently at, but still have some plans before it's finished. So, here is what it looked like the day we bought the house. Seven years ago. Don't let the "grass" fool you. It's just weeds. And the ugly brown window trims paired with the ridiculously old glass in the windows and the green brick with maroon grout. Not too pretty. We have since painted the door, trim, and replaced the windows. Also replaced the porch light and house numbers.  This spring we also had a new concrete half circle driveway installed. We live on a busy street and our front yard is useless and our driveway is tiny. So now we have much more functionality, less weeds, and overall happiness. After the driveway was installed, I also ripped out the rest of the grass and installed some decorative...

Things I've learned about babies

These are things I never realized or knew about babies that I have learned since having one of my own! -Babies are grimy. I still don't understand how they can get so dirty. How did you get all this dirt under your fingernails!? You can't even DO anything with your fingers! -You know that soft spot on their head? You can totally see their heartbeat in it sometimes. It's kind of disconcerting. -Once you finally figure out some type of routine or normalcy......it changes. -Apparently babies can still "bite" their tongues, even though they don't have teeth. I guess technically they're gumming their tongue? Which doesn't sound too painful, but when a red pinched blood vessel looking thing shows up on the tip of your baby's tongue, you realize that it might be a bit painful. -Babies have to be pretty tough, they experience a lot of pain! From being born (it just can't feel great being squeezed through a birth canal), to teething...for mont...

Good and Bad Discoveries of the Week

This week we have discovered the secret to life in Provo!! I am serious, it's the best thing ever, and everyone who lives in or near Provo, must take advantage of this secret to life. 1. Go to the Winsong movie theater 2. Purchase a ticket for "Take" (preferably Matinee) 3. Preferably, do not watch this movie because it is a waste of time. But if you have nothing better to do with yourself, go ahead and watch it. 4. Take your movie stub to the dollar theater located by Costco in Orem 5. Finally, enjoy UNLIMITED free movies at this theater. That's right, I said UNLIMITED FREE MOVIES at the dollar theater. I know this sounds to good to be true, but it is oh so true. I have done it, and it works. Last night, we watched a free Indiana Jones from this movie ticket. It was amazing. The movie Take is pretty worthless, but the reward is priceless. Ok, so on to the bad discoveries of the week. I have recently become aware of the advantages and disadvantages that tag along with...