Skip to main content

Ever Wonder What to do With Free Time at Work?

Recently we have plunged into the slowest time of the year at work. This means that we go minutes upon minutes in between phone calls, leaving so many empty minutes to be filled with our creative juices. Some people use this time to complete homework for classes. Others, think of what if scenarios that they then try to prove...

Today was another particularly long and boring day. There were three of us sitting at the front desk available to help any student who would come walking through the door. When no such students ever showed up, we began to talk about the baseball bat that is stored in our drawer at the front desk. Several months ago we had a training on what to do if a raving gunman comes into our building about to shoot everyone to death. Yeah, sound pretty morbid? It was. But I guess it's good to be prepared. We even learned how to play dead. Anyway, after this way too informative meeting, our director decided to make us a little more prepared by placing metal baseball bats strategically throughout the office. To this day, we still argue over the actual purpose of the bat. Is it to break the windows so we can all safely plunge to our deaths out the back of the building? Or are we supposed to distract the shooter while we try to bash his head in before he can shoot too many more times? No one really knows. Neither option seems too appealing to me, and unfortunately, said director has since passed away...so we will never know what he wanted!

While we were on this string of thoughts, we began to think of safe places to hide if a gunman were to suddenly burst through the door. We were told we should throw computers and monitors at him, but I think it would take hours just to get everything all unplugged so you could even pick up a stupid monitor, let alone any other piece of hardware. I suggested under the desk, which would in no way provide a blockade for the bullets since push tacks can be pushed all the way through the walls, but it may be a good hiding place so he doesn't know to shoot there, right? Then, my coworker had a brilliant idea. She says "I would hide in the drawer!" I challenged, no, you couldn't fit in the drawer. "Yes I could! I could totally fit in the drawer!" At this point, I filled my role of being a responsible, trustworthy, student supervisor by encouraging her to do so...right now. It's better to be sure now then try it when it actually counts and have it not work, right? I quickly scanned my surroundings...Director just left on lunch, our bosses are in a meeting, no students are here, PERFECT TIMING! So we quickly opened the bottom drawer, pulled out all the old nasty clothes that are older than I am, as well as the random odds and ends left in there. She then announced that it was too dirty and she didn't want to get dirty. Not to worry, problem solved. We broke out clorox wipes and that blowy air stuff that you're supposed to use to blow dust out of a keyboard. Cleaned it all up nice and tidy. Now is her shining moment. And oh yes, she did not let me down. She climbed right into that drawer and got all squished into it as best she could. Unfortunately it wasn't enough for us to be able to actually close the drawer with her inside, but it was pretty darn close. If only it was a couple inches longer! I took some pictures on my cell phone of this wonderful moment, but I am not able to get those pictures onto this blog. So you're going to have to work with what I got. Picture a drawer kind of like this, emptied out of course:




With a woman in a position kind of like this:



It's a thing of beauty, isn't it?

Oh, and I guess I should tell the ending of the story as well. As she was getting out, a loud popping noise occurred from the side of the drawer, and it promptly fell to the ground. Uhh....
We got a little frantic when we realized we couldn't close the drawer. We thought we put it back up on the rung like it was supposed to be, but it just wouldn't shut dang it! Both of our first reactions was this: "AUGH, What story can we tell that will be convincing as to why this drawer is broken stuck open?" We couldn't come up with anything. Luckily, after about 5 minutes, we were able to get it closed...mostly. It still pops a little, we'll just say it's always done that!

Comments

KaWheelers said…
oh my gosh... I love it. Who was it?! haha :)
Mrs. Jones said…
YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHO THAT WAS!!! lol!!!
Lisa said…
ok, NOW I wish I worked with you the other days of the week.

Popular posts from this blog

Curb Appeal Galore

 This post is to document the journey our outside of our house has been on over the last few years. A lot of these projects I took on this summer, and a few I did earlier. I am so happy with where we are currently at, but still have some plans before it's finished. So, here is what it looked like the day we bought the house. Seven years ago. Don't let the "grass" fool you. It's just weeds. And the ugly brown window trims paired with the ridiculously old glass in the windows and the green brick with maroon grout. Not too pretty. We have since painted the door, trim, and replaced the windows. Also replaced the porch light and house numbers.  This spring we also had a new concrete half circle driveway installed. We live on a busy street and our front yard is useless and our driveway is tiny. So now we have much more functionality, less weeds, and overall happiness. After the driveway was installed, I also ripped out the rest of the grass and installed some decorative...

Things I've learned about babies

These are things I never realized or knew about babies that I have learned since having one of my own! -Babies are grimy. I still don't understand how they can get so dirty. How did you get all this dirt under your fingernails!? You can't even DO anything with your fingers! -You know that soft spot on their head? You can totally see their heartbeat in it sometimes. It's kind of disconcerting. -Once you finally figure out some type of routine or normalcy......it changes. -Apparently babies can still "bite" their tongues, even though they don't have teeth. I guess technically they're gumming their tongue? Which doesn't sound too painful, but when a red pinched blood vessel looking thing shows up on the tip of your baby's tongue, you realize that it might be a bit painful. -Babies have to be pretty tough, they experience a lot of pain! From being born (it just can't feel great being squeezed through a birth canal), to teething...for mont...

Good and Bad Discoveries of the Week

This week we have discovered the secret to life in Provo!! I am serious, it's the best thing ever, and everyone who lives in or near Provo, must take advantage of this secret to life. 1. Go to the Winsong movie theater 2. Purchase a ticket for "Take" (preferably Matinee) 3. Preferably, do not watch this movie because it is a waste of time. But if you have nothing better to do with yourself, go ahead and watch it. 4. Take your movie stub to the dollar theater located by Costco in Orem 5. Finally, enjoy UNLIMITED free movies at this theater. That's right, I said UNLIMITED FREE MOVIES at the dollar theater. I know this sounds to good to be true, but it is oh so true. I have done it, and it works. Last night, we watched a free Indiana Jones from this movie ticket. It was amazing. The movie Take is pretty worthless, but the reward is priceless. Ok, so on to the bad discoveries of the week. I have recently become aware of the advantages and disadvantages that tag along with...