Yesterday after school we had a few students come into the SAC to pick up their cell phones that had been taken away from them during the day. (If we see it, we take it, and they don't get it back until the end of the day.)
However, if this is the second time they've had their phone taken (for the entire year), we don't give it back to them until a parent comes in and signs for it.
In comes choice student named The Punk to get his phone. I told him it was his second time, and like what we told him would happen last time he got it taken away, he's not getting it until his parent is there. He proceeds to argue and complain and whine whine whine. He tries to work his way around the situation, coming up with any excuse that would let us give it to him.
However, if this is the second time they've had their phone taken (for the entire year), we don't give it back to them until a parent comes in and signs for it.
In comes choice student named The Punk to get his phone. I told him it was his second time, and like what we told him would happen last time he got it taken away, he's not getting it until his parent is there. He proceeds to argue and complain and whine whine whine. He tries to work his way around the situation, coming up with any excuse that would let us give it to him.
"It's the weekend and they can't come till MONDAY!"
Too bad.
"My mom is in Sundance and my dad is somewhere else far away!"
So sorry.
And on and on it went.
So I told him he should use our school phone to call his mom and tell her the situation and see if she could come get it. He tells me he doesn't know her phone number. Or his home number. Or his own number. Or anything.
So I start to try to give him a valuable life lesson and tell him that he really needs to memorize his home phone number. Or his mom's cell number. Or something! Anything! He says he doesn't have to because it's on his phone. So I try rationally explaining to him that he really needs to memorize it because who knows! He might not be able to rely on his cell phone 100% of the time when he really needs it! And in an emergency situation, he might just need to know that number. I tell him his phone could die. Or have no service, or break, or any number of things. He keeps arguing with me.
"NO! I ALWAYS keep it charged! It NEVER runs out of battery! EVER!" (He stressed that point a lot)
"Whatever, I have T-MOBILE and it has GREAT Service!" (Yeah, like it covers 100% of the world. Or even the country. Or even the STATE! But who am I? I know nothing.)
So anyways. I finally tell him he can look up his mom's phone number on his phone and then use our phone to call her. I take out the phone, hand it to him, and he starts fiddling with it. He says "what the.."
"IT'S DEAD!!!!!" The phone was completely dead, no juice left whatsoever! I proceeded to stop using my professional adult-like manner and very loudly rubbed it in his face that his phone was DEAD! (It was after school hours anyway, I was technically off the clock) How ironic is that!? How perfect! He proceeded to blame us for leaving the screen on when we took it. I informed him I did not care. The fact was he swore it would never under any circumstances be dead. And it was.
TAKE THAT PUNK!
Comments