I had one of those, "whoa, that's weird" moments the other day. Nothing big or significant in any way, but still made me stop for a moment. So I must give 2 background stories first.
1. Last year we were at a volleyball game. We got there early, like always, in order to get our favorite baseline seats. Before the game started, one of the workers for the game came by and asked us if we wanted to participate in the serving challenge that would take place in between the 2nd and 3rd games. Of course I said yes. So he had to take down our names. He went one by one, and then got to me. I said "Gina." He said, "What? Janelle?" No... GEE-NUH! GINA He said "uh, Geenya?" WHAT?!!? Does that even make sense!? Whose name is Gee-NYA??? At this point I don't remember if I corrected him again or not. But, you should want to know that I did end up winning that serving challenge. I had to serve the ball over the net into a hoola hoop. I don't remember if that was the DVD player or the one night Marriott stay that I won, cuz I won both of those things that year at different times.
Anyway, story number two.
2. Probably some time last year, I can't quite remember, we went to visit Jarom's sister/brother-in-law/nephew. The nephew was probably around 1, or 1 1/2, who knows. Anyway, he's a boy, and loves cars as most boys do at that age. I happened to be wearing a sweat shirt that had a picture of an old car on it. His parents were trying to teach him the family's names so he could know who we were. So everytime they pointed at me and asked who I was, he would respond "CAR?" Nope, that's GINA. "CAR?" No, GEE-NUH "CAR!" For the rest of the night he refused to use my name. He only referred to me as Car. That sprung a nickname that Jarom has used a lot since then. He uses it on video games for me, but usually spells it Kar, so it looks more like a name I guess.
So this brings me to my weird moment. The other day at work a student called in. Her name was Geenya Kaur. Pronounced "Gee-NYA KAR (Car)" Whoa. Weird. But funny.
1. Last year we were at a volleyball game. We got there early, like always, in order to get our favorite baseline seats. Before the game started, one of the workers for the game came by and asked us if we wanted to participate in the serving challenge that would take place in between the 2nd and 3rd games. Of course I said yes. So he had to take down our names. He went one by one, and then got to me. I said "Gina." He said, "What? Janelle?" No... GEE-NUH! GINA He said "uh, Geenya?" WHAT?!!? Does that even make sense!? Whose name is Gee-NYA??? At this point I don't remember if I corrected him again or not. But, you should want to know that I did end up winning that serving challenge. I had to serve the ball over the net into a hoola hoop. I don't remember if that was the DVD player or the one night Marriott stay that I won, cuz I won both of those things that year at different times.
Anyway, story number two.
2. Probably some time last year, I can't quite remember, we went to visit Jarom's sister/brother-in-law/nephew. The nephew was probably around 1, or 1 1/2, who knows. Anyway, he's a boy, and loves cars as most boys do at that age. I happened to be wearing a sweat shirt that had a picture of an old car on it. His parents were trying to teach him the family's names so he could know who we were. So everytime they pointed at me and asked who I was, he would respond "CAR?" Nope, that's GINA. "CAR?" No, GEE-NUH "CAR!" For the rest of the night he refused to use my name. He only referred to me as Car. That sprung a nickname that Jarom has used a lot since then. He uses it on video games for me, but usually spells it Kar, so it looks more like a name I guess.
So this brings me to my weird moment. The other day at work a student called in. Her name was Geenya Kaur. Pronounced "Gee-NYA KAR (Car)" Whoa. Weird. But funny.
Comments
But yeah, that's weird.