I have lived in Utah for 8 years now. That's a pretty long time, and most of the time I think I've gotten this whole Utah thing figured out. I know all there is to know about living here. But then something like this happens.
I am talking with my coworkers who are both born and raised Utahn's, not just mere 8-year Utahn's. One of them starts talking about a "potgut."
Me: "I'm sorry, What did you just say?"
Coworker A: "A PotGut!"
Me: ".....um.....what in the world is that?"
Coworker A turns to Coworker B for help.
Coworker B: "Well I know what they are but I don't know what else they're called!"
We all stare at each other for awhile. We feel like we're speaking a different language and cannot communicate with one another.
Coworker B: "It's a little animal that digs holes in the ground?"
Any guesses? Anyone who is NOT a Utahn?
I googled it and found a story similar to mine of a girl talking about her boyfriend who used the term and she couldn't tell what he was talking about.
It's a ground squirrel. Nothing spectacular, nothing uncommon, nothing unique to Utah. A squirrel. That lives in the ground.
Apparently there are still new things to discover that come alone with living in the Great Intermountain West. Though just because I live here doesn't mean I have to adopt their weird words and things. Utahns. Never get old.

I am talking with my coworkers who are both born and raised Utahn's, not just mere 8-year Utahn's. One of them starts talking about a "potgut."
Me: "I'm sorry, What did you just say?"
Coworker A: "A PotGut!"
Me: ".....um.....what in the world is that?"
Coworker A turns to Coworker B for help.
Coworker B: "Well I know what they are but I don't know what else they're called!"
We all stare at each other for awhile. We feel like we're speaking a different language and cannot communicate with one another.
Coworker B: "It's a little animal that digs holes in the ground?"
Any guesses? Anyone who is NOT a Utahn?
I googled it and found a story similar to mine of a girl talking about her boyfriend who used the term and she couldn't tell what he was talking about.
It's a ground squirrel. Nothing spectacular, nothing uncommon, nothing unique to Utah. A squirrel. That lives in the ground.
Apparently there are still new things to discover that come alone with living in the Great Intermountain West. Though just because I live here doesn't mean I have to adopt their weird words and things. Utahns. Never get old.

Comments
If a woodchuck could chuck wood, a woodchuck would chuck all the wood a woodchuck could chuck; IF a woodchuck could chuck wood.